Newswatch | Newswatch

You are here

Hong Kong: Deliberate attacks on media by anti-Occupy protesters

The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) and its affiliate Hong Kong Journalists Association (HKJA) have condemned the brutal attacks by thugs and anti-Occupy Movement protesters against several journalists in Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong on October 3 and 4.

On Friday, October 3, a number of anti-Occupy Movement protesters, including the leader of the Anti-Occupy civil group entered the area at the juncture of Nathan Road and Argyle Street in Kowloon and Causeway Bay, where a number of Occupy Movement protesters remained since the beginning of the protests a week earlier. The Anti-Occupy protesters were there to attempt to force the eviction of the protesters. A number of scuffles broke out in which several journalists were attacked by masked Anti-Occupy protesters in Mong Kok. The journalists reported that they felt they were being targeted in the attacks.

There were at least 13 separate attacks, many of which included journalists who showed their press identification cards. Journalists from Radio Television of Hong Kong (RTHK), Apple Daily, Ming Pao, South China Morning Post and U Magazine were all injured during the attacks, which included verbal assaults and harassment. Journalists reported being slapped, hit and having water bottles thrown at them.

On Saturday, October 4, Mak Ka-Wei, a journalist with RTHK, was assaulted by an anti-Occupy protester several times, even after he identified himself as a journalist and wore his press jacket. Mak told IFJ: "The man simply ignored me and destroyed my camera though I had been trying to protect it." The attack left his left eye and nose severely bruised.

Tsui, another journalist from RTHK, was hit by a plain-clothed police officer at Admiralty. During the attack he was hit in the waist with a police baton despite identifying himself as press. He was holding his press card, press jacket and a RTHK microphone.

Journalist have lodged complaints to police, however no arrests were made on October 3. One journalist nearly punched by an anti-Occupy protester in front of a police officer, but it was reported that police did not stop the assailant or accept the complaint from the journalist.

HKJA said "These attacks were not accidental. We call on public to say no to violence. Journalists are doing their job to report on the incident and the views of different people. They should not become the punching bag for people who feel angry their demands are unheeded."

IFJ said: "Although the Secretary for Security, Lai Tung-Kwok, senior Government officials and the Police Department continue to deny they colluded with the triad society, their actions on the ground appears to contradict these statements."

"We are greatly concerned at this latest development in the protests and call on the Hong Kong Government and authorities to respect the role of the media in reporting the protest events across Hong Kong. We remind the government and civil society that the media have a role and should be free from intimidation and harassment to carry out this job."

Date posted: October 10, 2014 Last modified: May 23, 2018 Total views: 0