Newswatch | Newswatch

You are here

Kenyan journalist shocked to be ICC suspect

Running riot: A group of Kenyans brandish sticks and hammers during disturbances in the Mathare slum of Nairobi.Photo: Agence France-Presse (AFP)

A Kenyan journalist named by the International Criminal Court as a key suspect in deadly post-poll unrest said Thursday he was shocked by the move weeks after interviewing and taking pictures of the court's prosecutor, Agence France-Presse (AFP) has reported.

Joshua arap Sang, who met Luis Moreno-Ocampo during his latest visit to Kenya earlier this month, is the only one among the six Kenyans named by the prosecutor Wednesday not be a politician or a top government officials.

The details: [Link]

A presenter with the vernacular radio Kass FM, he is accused of murder, deportation or forcible transfer of population, torture and persecution of political opponents, but he says he is innocent.

"When I met Ocampo, we shook hands and even took a photo with him. I didn't know that he was greeting (a suspect),"arap Sang told reporters. "We even had a meeting with him where he pleaded with journalists to try and calm Kenyans that when the list is released it will not be the end. There is a legal process that will be followed," Sang said.

"In fact I was so shocked to learn that I was on the list yet Ocampo has been stating that he is pursuing politicians and prominent businessmen," added Sang, who has posted his picture with Moreno-Ocampo on his Facebook page.

Other suspected masterminds include Uhuru Kenyatta, the son of Kenya's founding president, President Mwai Kibaki's top aide Francis Muthaura and Prime Minister Raila Odinga's party members Henry Kosgey and William Ruto.

Moreno-Ocampo issued a summonses request for them for alleged crimes against humanity relating to the violence that killed 1,500 people after a disputed 2007 presidential election.

Date posted: December 17, 2010 Last modified: May 23, 2018 Total views: 110