Newswatch | Newswatch

You are here

IFJ continues its call for justice in killing of Norbert Zongo

The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) has called on witnesses and those who have information on the killing of Norbert Zongo to step forward with evidence that could be used to reopen the case.

Today is the 9th anniversary of the assassination of the journalist, who was killed along with three companions in Burkina Faso. Zongo, who was an investigative journalist and editor of the newspaper L’indépendant, is believed to have been killed for his investigative reporting.

“We call on all the media organisations, civil society groups and individuals in Burkina Faso and all over the world to continue the fight for justice in Zongo’s killing,” said Gabriel Baglo, Director of the IFJ Africa office. “We know that there are people in Burkina Faso who know what happened that day. We call on them to testify and step forward for justice and to ease their conscience.”

In July 2006, the judge in charge of the case dismissed the charges against Marcel Kafando, the only person accused in the murder of Zongo, his brother Ernest Zongo, his colleague Blaise Ilboudo and his driver Ablassé Abdoulaye Nikièma.

The case against Kafando was dismissed after a witness retracted his statements. The judge said only “new elements” would relaunch the investigation and reopen the case.

On December 13, 1998, Zongo and his three companions were found burnt to death in their car, close to the village of Sapouy, about 100 km south of Ouagadougou. Zongo had been receiving death threats after publishing articles implicating François Compaoré, the younger brother of the President Blaise Compaoré, in the murder of François’ driver.

Date posted: December 13, 2007 Last modified: May 23, 2018 Total views: 352